75th GC Meeting Overview
The 75th Governing Council meeting of the Institute of Marine Engineers (India) was held on the 08th and 09th April 2017 at Chandigarh. IMEI President Mr Dilip Mehrotra chaired the two-day meeting.
The Final minutes of the 74th GCM which had been circulated earlier were adopted by the members. Members were apprised of the Action taken Report arising from previous Council meetings.
The Chairmen of Subcommittees and Branches presented their activity reports and the Budgeted figures were compared to the actual performance as of 28.02.2017. Activities pertaining to Benevolence Fund and External Bodies including WMTC were presented to the GC.
Following were some of the decisions taken and discussions held and updates given during the meeting
- Members were updated on the pending Income Tax cases. After the favourable ITAT decision all pending cases at Commissioner Appeals level are being sent back to the Assessing Officer for review.
- Kochi property case is in the final stages of being resolved
- The appointment of Mr KK Nair as the General Manager of IME(I) was cleared and his Job responsibilities were finalised.
- The third floor extension of the IME(I) building at Nerul was progressing satisfactorily
- The Vizag Branch was requested to make a formal proposal for the construction of their new premises and submit same to the BLFC committee.
- It was noted that only two student members had taken the benefit of the free IMarEST membership. It was decided to give to advertise this benefit through the MER and by writing to Training Institutes.
- The progress of the MER and its cost of printing was deliberated upon. It was decided to pursue the drive to get more members to opt for soft copies.
- A standard marketing kit for the IME(I) which includes a standard stall design for exhibitions, brochures and gift items would be prepared shortly
- The recent initiative to conduct monthly technical sessions at IME(I) House in Nerul was being received well by all stakeholders
- A process would be initiated to honour worthy members of the IME(I) for their contribution to the Institute.
- The updation of TAR books was reviewed.
- The progress of TAB based exams was satisfactory and the future role that IMEI could play in supporting the DG’s office in going digital was discussed
- Progress of Facilitation centers were reviewed.
- The overall budget was reviewed and discussed.
- The nomination of members for future NMDC awards
- It was decided that IME(I) should withdraw itself from the Maritime Museum Trust in view of the mounting property tax bills and the lack of any progress in building the museum.
In view of the untimely passing away of Shri VP Datar who was appointed by the 34th AGM to be the Election Officer for the forthcoming elections, it was decided to call an EGM on 7th May to identify and nominate a new Election Officer.
In the absence of Vice President Mr. Vijendra Jain, Mr Rajeev Nayyer, delivered the vote of thanks.
Back to Governing Council Reports