The 33rd AGM of the IME(I) was held at the IME(I) House, Nerul
The 33rd AGM of the IME(I) was held at the IME(I) House, Nerul, Navi Mumbai on Saturday 17th September 2016. 62 members, including one lady member, attended the event. Mr. Dilip Mehrotra, President, chaired the meeting. Following four resolutions were tabled and were approved by the General Body:
- Draft minutes of the 32nd AGM
- The audited balance sheet for FY 2015-2016
- Appointment of auditors for the year 2016-2017 at a remuneration of Rs 55,000
- Appointment of Shri VP Datar, Fellow, as Electoral Officer for the Council elections.
The General Body was informed about important developments which took place since the last AGM.
- A favourable ruling was received from the IT Tribunal in our IT case related to AY 2009-10. This will favourably impact our pending cases.
- Various initiatives were taken at the administration level to provide a fair and transparent reward and recognition system for all employees of IMEI
- Approval from CIDCO and the NMMC was received for the addition of one floor to the existing IME(I) building at Nerul. This was a long pending issue.
- Kochi Branch has moved to a leased premises and all efforts are being made to sell the current property which is entangled in legal issues.
- The Vizag Branch has signed an MOU with AndhraUniversity where IME(I) has been given rent free premises for 30 years. It will herald the co-operation of IME(I) with a leading University to promote Marine Engineering.
- A Combustion Simulator has been installed in our premises. This is a pre-requisite for starting MEO Class 1 FG courses at the Institute.
- Tab based exams for MEO NCV were successfully developed and conducted by IME(I)
- One major step ahead for the Institute is that eVoting will be introduced from the next General Elections.
Our members continue to win laurels and make the Institute proud. Some noteworthy personalities who won awards were:
- Shri MV Ramamurthy was awarded Honorary Fellowship of the CMMI
- Mr Chirag Bahri won the Dr. Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year award
- Mr. Sanjeev Vakil has been conferred with the Fellowship of the Nautical Institute, UK
- Ms Suneeti Bala was felicitated by ‘Sailor Today’ as an Exemplary Woman of Substance
- Dr K A Simon, Past President, was conferred for outstanding contribution to maritime education and training.
The HS Rao Memorial Award for the Best Technical Paper 2015-2016 was presented to the following for their Technical paper “ Energy Efficiency – can it be a key driver for the offshore sector":
- Shri Ulhas S. Kalghatki
- Shri Karthik Seetharaman
- Shri Kunal M Sharma
In addition the Institute awarded Mr.Sukhvinder Singh Rayat a certificate of Appreciation for his paper ‘Energy Efficiency in Ships ’
Mr Dilip Mehrotra addressed the Meeting. His speech is covered elsewhere in this journal. Discussions continued over dinner, where members were joined by their families.